Monday, March 3, 2014

My Thoughts on K-6 Curriculum Resources

Hi friends!

On Tuesday, February 25th our class was provided with a sample collection of the many educational resources that exist and are available for primary and elementary teachers. The K-6 resources were organized and assorted by grade level, allowing my classmates and I the opportunity to move about the tables, each assigned to a specific grade level and its sample educational resources.


I was especially impressed by the wide variety of primary resources available for both child and teacher usage. The resources which I viewed were evidently age-appropriate, including fun and engaging storybooks reflecting mathematical concepts. I could not help but notice the major difference in number with regards to how many resources could be explored at the younger grade levels in comparison to how many resources could be explored at the elementary grade levels. As I moved from table to table, it quickly became evident that as the grade level increased, less resources were provided for exploration and viewing purposes due to availability. In the primary grades especially, resources were abundant while resources were much more limited at the elementary tables. With this said, I recognize the importance and requirement of reaching out to other means of resources, aside from textbooks. Learning elementary mathematical concepts must be fun and engaging for students as such concepts are in primary grade levels. As an educator, it will be my role to find what is not provided in order to strengthen my teaching abilities and the learning of my students. The internet, for example, is a means of technology that can be used to explore various other educational resources to assist in teaching mathematics. Many fun and interactive websites and resources are available online for both child and teacher engagement with mathematics.


As a future primary and elementary mathematics teacher, I recognize the importance of providing students with a wide variety of educational resources to accommodate for the diversity of learning styles and speeds. I truly value and appreciate this opportunity and feel that I have gained insight with regards to the wide variety of resources available to assist in the teaching of mathematics. I take comfort in knowing that such resources as those presented exist and are accessible to classroom teachers. It is great to know that we as educators are not limited to the prescribed grade level textbook. I look forward to beginning my own collection of mathematics resources to assist me in my future teachings.


Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment