Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Math Autobiography

Upon reflection of my own learning of mathematics in school, I recall always enjoying the subject of mathematics. I remember always looking forward to math class and enjoying practicing math problems as a young student.

With regards to what mathematics looked like in my K-6 classrooms, appearance varied depending on the grade level. In primary grades, I remember a number line display overhead above the chalk/white board as well as various posters and displays of number tables. I also remember the addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division signs that were placed on the classroom walls, almost as classroom decorations. In elementary grades, I remember poster displays of multiplication and division tables mounted on classroom walls, available for student viewing and learning. In both my primary and elementary classrooms, math was always evident in the classroom set-up. In a sense, math surrounded us primary and elementary students.


Throughout my primary and elementary school years, I always considered myself to be "good" at mathematics. I remember looking forward to getting my tests back and generally enjoying practicing math problems and working on my math homework especially. It wasn't until my last year of high school when I started feeling differently about mathematics as I was suddenly challenged by the material more so than in prior years. Although I still managed to do well, I remember having to dedicate much more of my time to studying math throughout my final year. It was no longer something that seemed to come natural to me and required little effort. As a fifth year student at Memorial University, I have completed the following mathematics courses: Math 1090 and Math 1051, which were two required courses upon entrance into the faculty of education.


The role of the teacher in my math classes often involved appearing enthusiastic and excited about the concepts of mathematics, demonstrating a positive and motivating attitude towards learning math. Upon reflection, the majority of my primary and elementary teachers introduced various concepts of math in an exciting way and always introduced math as a subject of great importance. In saying this, I think that my teachers recognized the importance of teaching math in a fun way wherever and whenever possible. I remember often using hands-on objects such as counting blocks in primary grades and money pieces in elementary grades, which I feel was very effective. 


As a university student, I recognize that math is everywhere and is a major component of my daily life. I utilize math on a daily basis whether it be through an actual mathematical problem, making a purchase and dealing with money, or filling out my monthly agenda assorted by numbered dates. My current feelings towards the subject of mathematics overall are positive. I feel as though math is an extremely important subject for students of all grade levels and people of all ages as it is in our lives daily in some form. I look forward to learning more about mathematics and how to effectively teach mathematics to primary and elementary students.


- Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment